Enterprise Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Solution for the Nation’s Leading Independent Wine and Beverage Retailer
After limited success with previous data warehouse and business intelligence projects, Total Wine (the country‘s largest independent retailer of fine wine) needed assistance with a comprehensive understanding of their business intelligence capabilities, how to effectively manage and leverage their data assets for strategic growth and competitive advantage, and a roadmap for delivering increased value supported by advanced reporting and analytics. Previous BI efforts had not been widely adopted by analysts, business owners or company executives, and there was limited understanding on how the DW/BI platform should integrate into the overall technology infrastructure and business processes.
JBS Custom Solution
JBS consultants met with stakeholders to review their business goals, and then held discovery sessions with business owners, power users, analysts, and executives to understand the business challenges and needs. With this background information, we led the Total Wine through a detailed assessment of their core data assets and provided guidance for short and long-term planning for an end-to-end data warehouse and business intelligence solution built on the Microsoft business intelligence stack.
Leveraging our data warehouse and business intelligence architecture experience, JBS consultants architected and developed a DW/BI solution to meet enterprise and line of business objectives with the following results:
- A detailed plan for platform stabilization and transition by identifying “low hanging fruit” that enabled the company to implement short-term process and technology improvements.
- Mentoring on industry standards and best practices for data warehousing and business intelligence tailored to the Total Wine’s specific needs.
- A DW/BI roadmap outlining opportunities for immediate changes, future architecture, and incremental improvements for advancing the BI capabilities to support business growth/strategy while remaining in sync with Total Wine’s broader technology direction.
- Development of proof of concept data warehouse, analytic, and reporting solutions.
- Delivery of a Kimball method enterprise data warehouse built on SQL Server 2014, SQL Server Analysis Services (OLAP), and Power BI for visualizations and self-service reporting.
- Redesigned ETL framework for loading the data warehouse and accompanying SSAS multidimensional models.
Executives and business users noticed immediate benefits from better insight into their data assets across lines of business, company verticals, and at the executive level. More significantly, with a JBS designed data warehouse and business intelligence architecture the leadership team could more effectively meet their business objectives with data driven decision-making supported by newly available descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.